Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April 7 ... 2 Samuel 8 - 12 "Our Greatest Good is Immediate Satisfaction"

2 Samuel 8: 1-6 David brought the Philistines to their knees and took control of their countryside.  He defeated Moab and executed two-thirds of them.  He killed 22,000 Arameans.  He plundered gold and looted large quantities of bronze. He struck down the entire army of Hadadezer.  He built a victory monument.  Set up puppet governments. 2 Samuel 1:14 "God gave David victory wherever he marched." This guy had courage that is so intriguing and admirable!

He lived well.  He suffered well.  He ruled well.  But did he love well?  It just so captures my attention, my heart that he had all those concubines!!!  How did he "miss" God on that?  How do I "miss" God?  Does it seem to you that if Christians today have a flaw like David did or even more culturally accepted flaws (if there is such a thing) like raging anger, then they are DQ'd from ministry, from respect.  No one DQ'd David for adultery and murder! 

So did David love well?  Here comes the precious story in chapter 9 of Mephibosheth, Saul's grandson.  He invited him regularly to his table to show kindness to Jonathan's son, the descendant of Saul, and treated him like royalty.  That truly is the new way to live.  That's beautiful love.  Saul had no power over David anymore.
2 Samuel 11:1 When that time of year came around again, David dispatched Joab and his fighting men of Israel in full force to destroy the Ammonites for good. But David didn't lead the battle---I wonder why?  He stayed home where it was safe yet he got into trouble with Bathsheba followed by the murder of Uriah because he wanted Uriah's wife.  Oh my!  Not safe. God had just blessed David immeasurably with many victories.  So what was David's greater good?  His God? 
Crabb's words come to mind:  "We naturally believe that our worst problem is personal pain occasioned by others who relationally fail us.  Because we fear that pain, we protect ourselves against it and think that our greatest good is our immediate satisfaction."  That's what David thought.  And we arrange for it any way we can, whether through sex or hard work or achievement or even worship (wow, I'm floored that he threw worship in there---doesn't seem to be a distractor, does it?)  So, what's my greatest good in my current situation?  Holiness?  God?  Whatever pain you own today, God is at work in you by His Power making you and me aware of just how far short we fall of relating like He does.  Colossians 1:29 - He is powerfully at work in you doing whatever it takes to get us to relate to others and move in to really love them and live for the Greater Good!  Wonder what my Greater Good is today?

8 comments:

  1. I believe David was punished for his sin of adultry. He lost his son after 7 agonizing days of fasting, praying and prostrating himself before God. Dr. Larry Crabb wrote about David's adultry, "I recorded David's adultry to let you know two things: one, great men sin greatly, as all people do, so be alert; and two, when things are going well as they were for David, it's tempting to relax your guard and indulge your desires."
    It's true, we are only human and that's the problem. It seems when things are really hard and we cry out to God just to get through the day, that is when we feel closest to Him. We need to comfort ourself in His closeness in the day to day, that is when we are being nurtured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Everyone!

    Believe it or not, I just got off the phone with Annette! I talked with Mike for a second and he put her on the phone. She sounds really good! I'm sure the next couple of days will be difficult, so please continue to keep her in your prayers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The king asked, "Is there anyone left from the family of Saul to whom I can show some godly kindness?" 2 Sam. 9:3.

    I noticed in the commentary at biblegateway that David's battles were forces attacking him...not him going out to defeat enemies.

    Spiritually, the Christian life is full of attacks on our peace. David soundly defeated the enemy's attack...only responding in anger at the defeat of his soldiers when Uriah was killed. His anger changed immediately when the messenger gave the word that Uriah was killed in battle.

    His peace at home opened up a web of deceit and adultery that cost the life of an innocent baby boy. I've heard it said that sin always hurts the innocent. So true.

    I am very sad that Uriah lost his life...he seemed to be such an honorable man, even in God's eyes. David may have reasoned in his heart that it was not his fault that Uriah died...but God saw it differently and that's the only opinion that counts. It was sin.

    I don't know about customs in those days, but ladies, if we go up on a rooftop to disrobe and take a bath, we should be spanked. It's private here at my house, but I'm still not going outside to bathe naked.

    What was Bathsheba thinking?

    Soap opera...literally...bathing on the rooftop in full vision of the king! That just doesn't sound very innocent to me. Sad. David's integrity was put in the trash can this day. As was Bathsheba's.

    And yes, it does show the human side of David. Not pretty at all.

    Miphobesheth---a picture of grace. Beautiful kindness on David's part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette, get well soon! You are in my prayers, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chapter's 9 and 10 show David's kindness, though it is misinterpreted in his dealings with the Ammonites in ch.10.

    Chapter 11 shows us the progression of sin and the tragic results. Immediate satisfaction reaped such devastation. What happened to the man in 2 Samuel 4:9-11? There he put to death two men who "killed an innocent man in his own house and on his own bed..." In 2 Samuel 11:15, he orders Joab to put Uriah (an innocent man) in the front line so he'll be struck down and killed.

    After all the intrigue in ch. 11, verse 26 says,"But the thing David had done displeased the LORD." Doesn't matter if he's a man after God's own heart. 1Samuel 12:9, "Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing evil in His eyes?" 12:14 says, "...by doing this you have made the enemies of
    the LORD show utter contempt..." God forgives David. Yet the consequences are severe. God says in 1Cor.10:13 that He WILL give me a way out. He warns me in James ch.1 not to be drawn away by my own desires. Immediate satisfaction or living for the Greater Good.

    Psalm 32 and 51 show how David was broken and repentant over his sins.
    Such a passionate man. I love his passion for his God. May his life be an example to me...guard my heart with all diligence. I am capable of anything left to myself...and I need to REALLY believe that.

    Annette, continued prayers for a speedy recovery...and a special sense of His presence during this time.

    Bev, Britt has been on my heart so much lately. I just want God's very best for that young man!

    FG Forever Grateful

    ReplyDelete
  6. FG - thank you for that kind word for my boy. He had an interview yesterday for a full ride to UT and will find out next week. It's for a whole lot of money. If he doesn't get it, then he doesn't get any money. God knows. We welcome another opportunity to trust Him. It can go either way. Thanks for asking about him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you Annette...thought about you so many times today as I faced my own little fears over here. And you were under the surgeon's knife. And God's Hand was right in there. His Hand is so on your life. Got your text tonight! Proverbs 31:25 is YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last night while we slept, someone broke into our car and took my purse. It's the first time since April 1, 2009 that I left it in the car. Left my wallet and dumped all the credit/debit cards on the seat, but took my purse and several hundred in gift cards. Bob forgot to lock the car---that never happens either. So what's my greater good? I have to "let go" of the stuff---it's gone---and forgive. Doesn't ever come at convenient times, does it?

    ReplyDelete