Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16 ... Joshua 19 - 21 "Spirit of Entitlement and Jealousy"

Joshua 21:45 - "Not one word failed from all the good words God spoke to the house of Israel. Everything came out right."  The Israelites lived from hideous plagues to wandering in a wilderness to ferocious battles.  The Promised Land was a place of victory in the midst of their mess and conquests.  God gave rest on every side in midst of their enemies who didn't loom large enough anymore.  I hope my enemies are losing ground.  He has already defeated them!  Pay close attention to what is happening in my heart as I struggle.  66 Love Letters: "A spirit of entitlement and jealousy will plague you until you die. You'll need discernment to identify it, recognize it as wrong, and know how to navigate your way through it."  I keep thinking about how it tripped up Joshua.  Seems like so much emphasis in the Christian life is on changing our behavior---our lack of patience, our anger, our fears.  But does God free us from those things or in the midst of that behavior as we discern what's really wrong in the fray of our hearts.  So where do we find this discernment to not miss the grace of a Good God?  Jonah 2:8.  So grateful for friends who look deeply into their hearts and help me see into mine.  So grateful to "Another Counselor" who comes to us every day to discern the matters of our hearts.  Right in the midst of our struggles, our pain, our confusion, live in the present in Mystery of His Love, broken not better before our God Who is making everything come out right in our lives according to His Plan.  Not One Word will fail.  .

7 comments:

  1. "The Spirit of Entitlement and jealousy will plague you until you die." - There is one prayer that I have prayed for two years, since our economy has weakened - as we, as Americans, struggle and try to make sense of the instability and changes in our lives - that our thoughts of entitlement would decrease and we would place our hope and trust in the Lord instead of comparing ourselves with the "Jones's" down the street.

    In our reading today, God proved faithful in fulfilling every promise He had given Israel. Fulfillment of some promises took several years, His timetable, not ours, but we know that His word is true.

    In facing our time of instability in our country, it is so hard not to revert back to feeling entitled to raises and promotions in our jobs, luxurious houses and homes because we work hard, and having "it all" because its the American Dream. The Lord provides all that we need, and discerning our desires is the only way we will recognize our heart's motivation. Trusting the Lord....period. Serve the Lord, not man.

    As, I apply our lesson today to my own life, I remember that the promises the Lord speaks into my life will come to pass; and I should faithfully do what I know He wants me to do and trust Him with my future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to know Joshua 21:45 today. I've written it out and will keep it with me as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "EVERYTHING came out right."

    When I was driving to and from North Carolina to help my son move I spent a lot of time thinking about my inheritance. I had a lot of time with my first year law student who loves to argue. I so want him to "get it" and I finally came to the conclusion that he will in God's perfect timing. EVERYTHING will work out right. I've missed being in His Word with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with entitlement. Our Bible study leader last week said something that keeps replaying in my head. He said even if the Lord never did another thing for you, it would be more than you deserved. More than enough. And gratitude is the only response. Now here is an attitude check for me.

    I need to add Joshua 21:45 to my memory work. Joanne Heim (A Simple Wife) found a Scripture memory site you all might like to use. It's http://scripturetyper.com/

    Isn't it encouraging to know that His promises are true. Not a single word of his promises will not be fulfilled. "Faithful is He that has called you and will also bring it to pass" (1 Thes 5:24)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post answered a question for me..I was wondering IF the Israelites had felt a sense of entilement and that was "part" of thier being stiff necked...thanks for clearing that up for me. I want to be sure to discern IF i feel entitled at all. We are so prone to think that way in this country...God is trying to get our attention. Prayefully, He is getting some of our attention. Bless all of you ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If you assume that Christianity means satisfaction in this life of all your desires, including the ones that lie deepest in your heart, then you live as no person was meant to live. You demand satisfaction. You live for it. You feel ENTITLED to it." (Dr. Crabb pg. xxiv 66 LL) I'm getting so much out of Dr. Crabb's book.

    "What kind of beloved is your beloved?" (Song of Solomon 5:9) I picked up a book this morning that asked that question.(The God You Can Know by the late Dan DeHaan) DeHaan said,"Paul knew the answer and lived the answer to the full."
    He goes on to list all that is his in Christ...new liberty(Gal.5:1); new life(Col.3:3); new law(Rom.7:23-35); new light (1Cor.4:5)...and on and on. Paul knew his Beloved and spent the rest of his life saying, "Thank You!" No sense of entitlement there.

    I needed this today. I will always need it.

    I also needed the reminder in 19:49 where Joshua was given his inheritance last...no, "me first" attitude. A leader with a servants heart.

    How secure we can be knowing God keeps His word..."Has He said, and will He not do?" (Nu. 23:19b) His word abides forever!

    FG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bev, any news you can share on Blair? FG

    ReplyDelete