Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 17 ... Joshua 22 - 24 "Hate Sin More than Suffering"

Joshua 22:3 - Shoulder the task God has laid on you.  As I carry out the mission that God has called me to, what happens inside of my heart?  Just like the altar built to face the Promised Land....looks good, looks bad,  but is it really?  As we end the book of Joshua, what lingers with you?  I think of how we all need to be rescued from our sin, from ourselves.  And if we honestly face what's going on inside of us, the severity of what's wrong, we will see the wonder and enormity of what God must do (66 Love Letters).  That so gives me hope.  We all live with ourselves. Can I learn a tiny bit more at this bump in my path to hate sin more than suffering.    Joshua does leave me with a call to fight the enemy within me, my flesh, that so wars against reason.  Fight the right battles.  And I need help to do that---can't do it on my own without the help of the Holy Spirit and the help of others to discern what wars in my heart.  The quote "no man is an island" pops into my head.   Am I fighting the right battles this day in my life?  On my way to talk to a friend who will help me discern.  Someone who is so alive in God not just committed to grow a ministry or church... but to let God rescue me to grow in Him. Grow in the grace and knowledge of the Mystery of His Love no matter how much present pain or confusion or questions or responses. Oh the intriguing Wonder and beckoning Love of our God Who is calling us, wooing us, and growing us.

4 comments:

  1. "As for me and my family, we'll worship God."

    Joshua 24:15b

    A treasure of extreme value to me right now...

    And, another source of strength as I walk with my GOD during a time of abandonment...

    Joshua 22:3

    "All this time and right down to this very day you have not abandoned your brothers; you've shouldered the task laid on you by God, your God."

    This was a beautiful reading tonight. May you all be blessed as you rest in the Saviour's Sheltering Arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua 22-24 is so rich in hope, instruction,and love. What a wonderful beginning to the day. Here are a few tidbits that spoke to my heart this morning:

    Follow through is vital in God's work, beware of temptation to quit early and leave God's work undone. (Joshua 22:3)

    Obedience is based on our love for God. (Joshua 22:5)

    "Hold fast to the Lord" - is truly the theme of Joshua's life and a one word summary of the message of Joshua. (Joshua 23:8)

    Have a blessed morning ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My main take-away from this reading was in chapter 24. Joshua gathered the tribes and recounted their history, reminding them of all that God had done for them. (and I love 23:10:"One man of you shall chase a thousand, for the LORD your God is He who fights for you, as He promised you.")

    After being reminded of all that God had done, they vowed their loyalty to Him. (vs. 16,18,21,24)
    They were enjoying a time of rest from the battles. Isn't it easier to profess our loyalty during those times of "rest" from our battles? I thought of Peter in Luke 22:31-34...his self-confidence,"Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death."

    Joshua warned them of what they would do. Jesus warned Peter. Good intentions aren't enough. "And if I kid myself that I'm really committed to You, but refuse to engage the battle going on in me as well as around me, I'll starve, and end up gorging on the cotton candy available in good-enough Christianity." (pg 26 66LL)

    I thought about cotton candy...sweet but no substance. People have used the word "sweet" to describe me at times. I liked it until I heard someone say,"Jesus didn't die to make you sweet." I want substance...depth. Not cotton-candy sweetness.

    "Behold I make all things new." (Rev.21:5) Thank You Jesus!!

    FG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't realize I would be without internet for 3 days here in Fort Worth. Finally got up to Panera's for an internet visit. Sorry I haven't been able to post. First trip back to Fort Worth since I've had cancer and we've wanted to fit a few more people in than expected. My apologies...

    ReplyDelete