Search This Blog

Thursday, March 23, 2017

March 24 "Shut Out By Lowliness of Position" Judges 16-18

Brian MacLaren in his commentary talks about: The light on Moses' face and the strength in Samson's arm represent the most noble of character. Present in Moses and deserted in Samson because we either hold on tight in the wilderness or lose hold of God. And, He lets us go. And these two poles of perfection, beauty and strength, are given by Only One. It wasn't really about Samson's hair in these verses---that was just a symbol of God's strength let slip through his lofty fingers. MacClaren goes on to say: "There have been in the past, and there are today, thousands of simple souls, shut out by lowliness of position and other circumstances from all the refining and ennobling influences of which the world makes so much, who yet in character and bearing, ay, and sometimes in the very look of their meek faces, are living witnesses how mighty to transform a nature is the power of loving gazing upon Jesus Christ....There is no influence to refine and beautify men like that of living near Jesus Christ, and walking in the light of that Beauty which is the effulgence of the divine glory and the express image of His Person." This whole thing gives me much peace as I've been shut out, at times, throughout my life---but it is not my job to seek beauty and strength in this celebrity world of ours. My utmost goal and privilege is to live near Jesus Christ, the One I love. Judges 16:20 - may it never be of any of us. Samson did not know the Lord had left him. He just didn't know. Moses did not know that his face shone like the sun, either. So, what's the point here? It's our calling to live near and trust. The nearness of God is our only good.

NOTE: I just have to write this down and document it somewhere---and it fits here... When the Great Divide happened in my life, a beautiful world began responding to me in the most unexpected way and it happens day-in, day-out.  Ask me about it sometime.

PHOTO:  Place where I work: our high school campus where I've found the nearness of God in ways I never imagined.  

No comments:

Post a Comment