Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2024

224 - "A Burning Fire" Jeremiah 17-20

        
Can the Potter remake this clay into another vessel.
What if it pleases God to leave me where I am?

Jeremiah 18:2 “Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will announce My words to you.” Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something on the wheel. But the vessel that he was making of clay was spoiled in the hand of the potter; so he remade it into another vessel, as it pleased the potter to make. Then the word of the Lord came to me saying,  “Can I not, O house of Israel, deal with you as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Behold, like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, Jeremiah 20:7-10

Why do I think things have to be a certain way?
I mean, God brought together Hosea and a wife of ill repute.
I mean, God gave calamities to Joseph and Job, one right after another.
Why do I think I will escape the uncomfortable in this life?
Can God not do with me as He wills.  On the shelf.  On the pedestal.
It's not for me to decide.

And the humble honest Jeremiah proceeds:O Lord, You have deceived me and I was deceived;
You have overcome me and prevailed.
I have become a laughingstock all day long;
Everyone mocks me.
For each time I speak, I cry aloud; 

I proclaim violence and destruction,
Because for me the word of the Lord has resulted
In reproach and derision all day long.
But if I say, “I will not remember Him
Or speak anymore in His name,”
Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
And I am weary of holding it in,
And I cannot endure it.
Jeremiah 20:7-9

Something is going on in his heart in the midst of mess.
Jeremiah has opened his cause to God.  Jer 20:12.
His problems are committed to God!
...But the Lord is with me like a dread champion.

Jeremiah's friends hoped for his fall---what kind of friends are they?
But.  God has this.

PHOTO:  A burning fire in Palm Springs.  Oh, this verse so speaks to me.  Where is that burning fire in my heart I have once known?  I open my cause to You, O God!


No comments:

Post a Comment