Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 27 ... I Samuel 1 - 3 "Valuing Relationships over Disadvantages"

 I Samuel 1:17  Eli answered Hannah, "Go in peace. And may the God of Israel give you what you have asked of him."  And in the next verse, Hannah went her way and this emaciated childless woman ate heartily and worshiped God.  Her face now radiant.  No more controlled by her circumstances. No more.  The decision was in God's lap.  I have thought about this verse constantly since I read it April 2008.  Probably because I was facing a lot of pain and wondered what to do with it.  Hannah cried inconsolably, embracing her pain, and finding her God in the midst of it. His agenda for Samuel to be His not hers.  She worshiped before she knew she was pregnant.  And her immense joy---bursting with God-news--- is recorded not at Samuel's birth but at Samuel's dedication to her LORD.  I Samuel 2 - "I'm walking on air.  I'm dancing my salvation. The weak are infused with fresh strength.  God puts poor people back on their feet again.  God rekindles burned-out lives with fresh hope."  Hannah believed God and "valued relationships over her disadvantage."  Her faith allowed her to walk through this.  I went through 7 years of infertility, inconsolable at times.  Maybe that's why I am so drawn to Hannah.  I lost 6 babies to miscarriage.  God was so good to me to help me deal with the fray of my demanding heart---so wanting children.  I mistakenly thought that children would fill my empty heart.  My agenda.  I didn't hear myself clearly asking, "What is holy in this situation that will please the LORD?"  I am indebted to a Mighty God for pulling me through and showing me what was in my heart.

So disturbed to hear about Eli's impact on his children.  It looked to me like he was asking his children a good question about where they were.  God was looking at his heart not the outward appearance of looking good.  May we all deal with those things He is stirring today in the fray of our hearts.  Truth settling down deep in our innermost being. Psalm 51:6

4 comments:

  1. 1Samuel 1-18

    Hannah's pain...childless, taunted by the other woman, a husband that loved her but didn't seem to understand her pain..

    Hannah's prayer...pleading and crying out for God to look at her pain and to act on her behalf...a vow to dedicate the child the LORD

    1Samuel 2:1-10

    Hannah's praise... She bursts into a prayer of praise when
    God answers her prayer..."bursting in God-news"..."walking on air"..The whole prayer is beautiful. I love the contrasts between the strong-weak, well-fed-hungry,barren-mother of many,death-life,poverty-wealth,etc.

    1Samuel 2:12-36 recounts the wickedness of Eli's sons, Eli hearing about it and God bringing judgement against him and his house. "Why treat as mere loot these very sacrificial offerings that God commands for worship?" (2:29) God will honor those that honor him. (I love, in 2:18, the contrast between Eli's sons and Samuel...and the mention of Hannah bringing him his little robe.)

    In chapter 3 we see Samuel hearing God's voice, at first thinking it was Eli. Though the word of the LORD was rare in those days, God found a listening ear. A heart willing to be stirred.

    What's stirring in my heart? Getting back to the Larger Story. Change on the inside. Getting specific on identifying sin in my heart...I haven't been saying, "Speak LORD", near enough. Am I too busy or too afraid of what I might hear?

    Bev, so glad Britt's interview went well. He sounds like a very special young man. Praying for God's favor.

    FG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed by Hannah as well. I understood her disappointment and crying out to God, but I was blown away by her rejoicing as she was turning over her baby to Eli. This is what she had prayed for, and here she is giving him up at such a young age! I was intrigued by her faith, especially at this point in Israel's history. Isn't this when everyone "did what was righ in their own eyes"? What an example of trusting the Lord in the midst of difficult personal circumstances.

    I Was also disturbed by Eli and how he dealt with his evil sons. It seemed like he didn't want to be bothered with doing the hard work of discipline and as a result, his sons are despised by God. This is a reminder to me of the high stakes of being a parent to my children. I can have a huge influence on where my girls spend eternity - a huge responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah's prayer, her desire for holiness, even through her pain she never doubted God seeking His Holiness. What a contrast as Eli loved God and yet he allowed his sons to do what they desired without providing discipline when Eli knew of their sins against God in the temple.

    This makes me think about what is happening in our Christian nation, America today the same story. The pilgrims left England because they wanted the Freedom to Worship God. Today in the United States of America this freedom has been abused too long.

    The thought occurs as I read 1 Samuel in reference to Eli and his sons that a Holy God will not tolerate our nation's behavior much longer either. I must learn as Samuel to hear God's voice and obey. God's word tells me "Be Holy for I AM Holy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one seemed to care what God's desires were in this story. Two possibilities surface - Hannah and Samuel.

    Hannah cried and prayed for a child, a child that she vowed would be given to the Lord.

    Thank God she prayed for that, because Eli's sons certainly weren't passionate about serving God as a priest. They were in it for gain. Eli looked the other way.

    And Hannah prayed and sacrificed her very best unto the Lord.

    Our desire should always be towards Him and from our heart.

    ReplyDelete