Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

December 3 "The Black Drop in the Heart" I Timothy 1:15

The wordsmiths call this a striking formula:  memorable truths; well known; oft repeated; constantly rehearsed.  "Here.  A trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst." I Tim 1:15.  Such weighty words where each speaks a volume.  The Great Gospel folded up into one glorious chubby sentence.  This trustworthy saying references the largest truths of the Gospel according to MacLaren.  Christ.  Came.  To.  Save.  Sinners.  I am the worst. This: a "Universal Indictment." This truth must be understood:  "I want to lay on your hearts as the first condition to understanding anything about the power, the meaning, the blessedness of the Gospel which we say we believe."  There runs a streak---an alienation of the human heart, the pride of self-confidence, the ignorance of our own wretchedness and need.  May I press on you, this!  "The deep universal sin does not lie in the indulgence of passions, or the breach of moralities, but it lies here---thou hast left Me, the fountain of living water." "The God in whose hand they breath is, and whose are all thy ways, thou hast not glorified."  The black reality beneath our shoulders.  Wait. Wail out:  'Of whom I am chief.'   MacLaren

DEAR GOD, PLEASE CHANGE THIS SINNER IN MY 10,000 MOMENTS OF NEED.  May the largest truths I have ever known fall full weight on the shoulders of my world.  This generous sacrificial Love.  This incomparable worst person---me.  Oh God, have mercy!  "May we recognize the existence of this sinfulness beneath all the surface of reputable and pure lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment