Search This Blog

Monday, August 18, 2014

August 18 "Old Rags" Jeremiah 38, 39, 40 Psalm 74, 79



Again. They take Jeremiah and cast him into a cistern. No water. Just mud. Jer 38:6. And God plans a rescue of Jeremiah by the eunuch, Ebed-melech. It's a rescue of rags and worn-out clothing. Jer 38:11. Matt Chandler spoke today of how God intervenes and gives us opportunities to change. But this fellow, Jeremiah, followed God fully. And God delivered because of Jer 39:18 - Jeremiah put his trust in the Lord.

God doesn't want our strength. He wants our weakness. Our surrender. Our dependence. Just like Jeremiah. Whether it's from a prison cell or the prison of our hearts. "When we are confident in God, we set our minds to worship. Then we attack with passion the brokenness in our world." We somehow have it upside down. Turn us right side up, Lord. We want to attack the brokenness more than we want to worship. Calloused hands need calloused knees.

Psalm 74:22 - "Arise, O God, defend Your Cause."

COME BOLDLY: Timeless Prayers
Father, when we are weak, then we are Strong, because of You. Make us strong within our prison walls, imposed or of our own making. Turn us right side up. May we never fail to worship You first.

PHOTO: As the sun sets on the Pacific Ocean, may we be self-aware of what we are truly doing.  Passion for God over passion for ministry.

5 comments:

  1. Show us Lord in which areas we operate on our own with our strength.We want to be fully surrendered to You, living for You, serving You, loving You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 79:9
    Help us, O God of our salvation,
    for the glory of your name;
    deliver us, and atone for our sins,
    for your name's sake!

    There is still a piece of me that despises the weakness, dependence, helplessness. I heard all my life a "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" philosophy on life--Independence and self reliance were virtues. And I fight feelings of indifference for "victim" mentality.

    Surrender starts in places like these in my heart. Surrender also involves re-teaching my heart the Truth of my own powerlessness to even take the next breath, then realizing that it is only God within me that gives every strength. He must remove the arrogance and lie of self reliance to even begin a work within me.

    In mercy, Lord, forgive us. In love, save us from ourselves. In triumph, come in victory over every foe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abba's Girl - I really don't know you in person, only here. But can I say this, here. The glimpse you give us of your surrendered heart is just beautiful. It encourages me so that you are so wrapped around all that God wants for your life. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette - Jer 39:18 - that little phrase: "he trusted in the Lord." Those 5 words make me think of you. You move into your world to love knowing you are broken and the world is too. You move into your world with such confidence and courage in God. And that's the beauty of what pours out of you. I just love how you share so honestly, so humbly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was walking down the beach and turned around. I gasped when I saw this sunset. Didn't know it was happening behind my back quite like the magnitude of it. It did something to my soul that night.

    ReplyDelete