Search This Blog

Saturday, April 26, 2014

April 27 "Obstacles of Unholiness" I Chronicles 6

                                    
Someone agrees with me that this lengthy list of names is like reading the phone book.  66LL.   And how does this apply to my life this day, thousands of years later.  I read a couple of commentaries on this chapter and still came up dry.  Until I read 66LL:  "Does this have any relevance to where I am in my life?"

"Where are you?  What is your experience of yourself, life, and Me at this moment  Genesis 3:9 ~ It's the same question God asked Adam all those years ago.  66LL.

I've just been at the pond pondering this exact same question.  I'm dealing with such discontentment in my life.  God knows.

So I read my Bible.  But this chapter does not read me.  Until.  Until I read 66LL which says:  "You don't see [God speaking here ] because you expect that God's love letters will be immediately relevant to your desires for a balanced, fulfilling, and satisfying life.  You underestimate the obstacle your unholiness presents that I must overcome before you can live the life God wants you to live.  Because you read God's letters with the demand that your emptiness be filled now, you do not see what you truly desire, nor do you thrill in God's promise to lavishly satisfy that desire in the next world, beyond what you can now imagine."

Oh my goodness.  That's it.  My discontent in this life looms larger than the thrill of the next life.

COME BOLDLY:  Timeless Prayers
Oh Father, I'm so turned inward on my complicated circumstances.  Here is a host of names of people just like me.  Help me to see beyond this world to a lavishing future with you in another world.

PHOTO:  Sitting on a dock at our little lake at our school.  We just drove in from a track meet in Houston.  Pondering this question:  Where am I?  Then, I picked up my Bible and read the same question.  Oh God!  Please move in my life---please move me.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand Bev. When I come to chapters like this, I tend to skip over most of the names. Can't
    pronounce them and seems like the reading of the chapter does not add to my knowledge of God and I am left sorta dry.They obviously were important to God for He had their names recorded. We are each one important to Him. I too read the Word looking for a Word for me and mine for that day or for the future, I need to let the Word read me more and I need to look to Him more and not to what I need or think I need today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are interim days for me--waiting for I'm not sure what. Hopefully, good and no reason to believe it would be bad. But it's this meantime thing going on where we actually live most of our lives.

    Names on a page mean little to me, but God counts lives and details of lives, hairs on our heads and names each star--nothing is too little for Him or too big. It's comforting to know that our lives are in His Hands, good Hands that care.

    So we sit here today just spending time with Him--not sure what transforming He is doing, but happy to sit at His feet this Lord's Day. Tend to our hearts, Lord.

    Yes, Lord. I echo Bev's prayer: Move in our lives or move us to Your benevolent Will. Bless my Pearl sisters to drink in Your Love for them. Activate our voices and lives to testify to Your Goodness. Melt our stoney hearts to compassion for others that we may be Your instruments of Love, and that others may see and know You. Thank you for Sundays and freedom of worship. We bless Your Name above all names. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to be interested in all the genealogies listed in the Bible, but I am not. They were important to the people and to God. They are a testimony to His promises found in covenants throughout Scripture.

    Lord, quicken our hearts to be tuned into Your heart. We love You!

    ReplyDelete