Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 14 "After Whom Do You Pursue?" I Samuel 21-24

Do I see that Providence works in the enemy's heart for my good?  The sun rises on both the good and the bad. God was moving for David even when it looks bad.  There's a verse in yesterday's reading that so made me wonder:  God detained Doeg so that he knew where David was.  Otherwise, Doeg would have never been able to tell Saul of David's whereabouts.  Saul pleads in front of Doeg:  None of you feel sorry for me.  None of you disclose that my very own son is stirring up David against me.  So, turn and kill all these priests of God who helped David.  And the King's servants say unequivocally, "No!"  So, Doeg does it.  The man God detained to spy on David.  Not only does he kill 85 men of the cloth but an entire city of Nob for the shelter provided David.

How could David possibly feel when he learned of the news that people were dying because of him?  And Saul continues to pursue every day!  I Sam 23:14.  But God does not give David into Saul's hand.  I Sam 23:28.  A Rock of Escape.

David has 400 men with him---the discouraged, the depressed, the down-and-out.
Saul has 3,000 men with him---the arrogant, the confident, the jubilant, the best.
Yet . . .
David wins.
David spares Saul's life when he has a chance,
screaming after Saul:
"After whom do you pursue?" --- The person who just saved your life!

What am I really pursuing?
After whom do I pursue?

Under The Providence of God.
Sheltered by The Rock.

COME BOLDLY:  Timeless Prayers
Father, may we see that nothing happens by chance in your government.  What appears as good.  What appears as evil.  You are superintending your world.  No accidents.  Just a Special Supervision.  Divine Execution.  Gracious Provision.  May we live this day under your Gorgeous Grace.

PHOTO:  A golden sun outside of my airplane window somewhere between here and there.  A candidate for David's army.

6 comments:

  1. David wrote in Psalm 34 Many are the afflictions of the righteous and the Lord delivers him from them all.

    If it weren't for all the troubles that David knew, the hot pursuit by Saul, the fleeing to the Rock of Escape and the strongholds of the cliffs, the 400 misfits, the near-misses of his own demise and the demise of others who were aligned with him, David could not have given us the beautiful Psalms of trust that revealed his earnest heart.

    Spurgeon wrote "“Strange that the painful events in David’s life should end in enriching the repertoire of the national minstrelsy, out of a sour ungenerous soil sprang up the honey bearing flowers of psalmody. Had he never been cruelly hunted by Saul, Israel and the church of God and after-ages, would have missed this song. The music of the sanctuary is in no small degree indebted to the trials of the saints. Affliction is the tuner of the hearts of sanctified songsters.”

    We have the beautiful Psalms today because of what David endured.

    The music of the sanctuary comes from the trails of the saints. Praise God for trials from which trust and consolation are born.

    Blessed Holy Week, Pearls. Live accordingly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love this, Annette. What you wrote! "The music of the sanctuary comes from the trials of the saints." Never thought about that when I read this today that these psalms come out of the depths of David's suffering heart. So many beautiful moments here. David doesn't melt down with the down-and-outers he has been assigned. He trusts. David doesn't cower at the devastating news of how many has been killed because of him. He trusts. And he keeps on hiding from Saul not lashing out in revenge. I mean, it is simply an amazing story. Love what you said about the psalms!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I didn't mean to say that was me--I just repeated that part of Spurgeon's quote. I agree--so much to this amazing story. I don't think I ever saw "the Rock of Escape" before! Each year...It still falls fresh! Amazing story of Grace and trust!

      Delete
    3. You had quotes up. I just love that you brought that way of thinking out. I never thought about not having the psalms if David had not suffered. I think it is so awesome reading chronologically that here are the first psalms straight from David's pain. He was in a huge dilemma. I agree. This is so fresh for me. I stand amazed day in/ day out. So humbled grateful to have eyes that continue to be opened a little more than before.

      Delete
  2. David still paid homage to Saul. He still considered him to be king. So much to be learned from David's behavior and what we know was in his heart due to the Psalms we have. May we pursue our God and King with all of our heart and all we have and be a loving witness to His grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That is so amazing that he lets Saul be his king. So much respect for this young man.

      Delete