Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Psa 36:11/ Psa 37:24/ John 11 "Hurled Headlong" (May 30)

Jesus comes back to Bethany and the man he raised from the dead, Lazarus, throws him a dinner party. Meanwhile, the Jews plan a murder party for Lazarus.  What! ---for being raised from the dead. Imagine that? So...There they all are celebrating: Lazarus, Mary, Martha, Judas ... Reclining at the dinner party table with their Suffering Savior who holds secret knowledge of his soon betrayal. Jesus leans on the Father of Mercies for His Comfort to keep on giving out, pouring out his life. He doesn't lean on Lazarus or Mary (like please come through for me by saying the right things) nor does He give in to their pull (like come heal Lazarus today---and I am memerized by Jesus'response: how about if  I come in 4 days).

And it is the Beauty of God that stirs in Lazarus' sister, Mary. Overcome with the Goodness of God. I mean, Jesus just gave her brother back to her. You know when you lose something precious and someone gives it back to you in deep measure. But who gets the love of their life back? Mary did. And she bathes her LORD in perfume that equaled an annual wage. If Mary had access to that kind of resources, you know there was more. That's not the issue. Her motive was challenged by the betrayer, Judas. Aren't our motives challenged every single day of our lives. Why are we really doing what we are doing? And what are we really getting out of what we are doing? "Many Christians hold the idea that if you are good, it does not matter if you are a fool." C.S. Lewis

I read books. I read blogs. I read hearts---as best as I can. So much of what I see is people building their own kingdom here on earth and not ever even realizing it. Fudging the truth. Distancing themselves. Positioning themselves. Look at me. It's all about numbers for some, isn't it? What about me?

The bible reading in John 11 is not tidy and trim. It is horrific. A resurrected man---wonder how he told his story---is now a hunted prey because of his powerful relationship with Jesus.. It's dangerous knowing Jesus. It's not like some make it out to be. Some say: Study this passage and go live and you will be free. No, it might cost you things in this world. It just might cost you dearly like the stories of the Blind Man and now this one about Lazarus.

O God, Let not the foot of arrogance come upon me. Psalm 36:11 Help me to understand my depravity a whole lot more than I do. Establish my steps and when I fall, help me to really know that I will not be cast headlong for you, my God, upholds my hand. Psalm 37:24. For I am ready to fall, and my pain is ever before me. I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin.  Psalm 38

3 comments:

  1. By trusting, delighting and commiting to the Lord, I will not fret but find rest as I wait for the Lord. (Ps. 37:1-11)

    The Lord is the one who holds my hands (37:24)

    Am I a witness to what Jesus can do and does in my life? Lazarus was and the Pharisees wanted him dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes you are, Nise'. You testify in such sweet ways here on Pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I ask a question here today?
    Lately, I've been perplexed by the ones who condemn others for sin, particularly ongoing sin in their lives, and argue that they cannot become members of their church.

    I read today: "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!"

    (Specifically, a friend is facing a hard question. Their church is deciding whether to allow a homosexual couple to become members of their church.)

    What is our responsibility to uphold God's standards toward other people, or better put, toward other self-professing Christians. (I'm not questioning their salvation here for the sake of brevity...just what our responsibility is to them.)

    ReplyDelete