Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Judges 1:2 and Luke 12:33 "Search the Scriptures" (April 13)

Search the Scriptures. Read them in context. Scripture interprets Scripture. Luke 12:32 says: “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." There is that word again. One Thing Necessary---we read 2 days ago. Yesterday---seek the Kingdom. Today---God's Pleasure is to give you His Kingdom. So, Luke 12:33 says: Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Where is my heart this awful desolate abandoned lonely day? We also read Judges and a very strange story in Chapter One about Judah and Simeon taking possession of their land and going in and defeating 10,000, Judges 1:2, and then ... cutting off the thumbs and big toes of the king. How strange some of the stories seem. What does that mean for me this day to take possession, to seek His Kingdom, to ask relentlessly, impudently, for what God already wants to give. Search the Scriptures.

2 comments:

  1. Can it be that simple? "Moneybags" that do not grow old, "treasures eternal"and by the way, "sell everything else." Give it no value. Don't fear for the day to day--lillies in all their splendor do not toil or labor (or worry.) But they "be" not "do" and God cares for each.

    Strengthen your heart, for it is God's desire to give us the keys to His Kingdom. Nothing required except, come. Spend time with the Good Lord of all, allow yourselves rest in His Presence, with no fears, no distractions, no other gods. Purely God.

    I'm such a Martha these days, finishing up a new addition to our business these next two weeks, waking up worried about electrical outlets missing, furniture yet to acquire, details that matter little, yet seem to keep my brain swirling. I tell myself I'll take a retreat soon, but never get around to putting it on the calendar. It's time to store up some Eternal Treasure--uninterrupted by the rest of the worldly concerns. It is to His Good Pleasure to reveal Himself and plant Himself in my heart. And it is to my eternal benefit and gratitude. I am putting a day on the calendar right now to sneak away to a solitary place with Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate Annette! I am rushing through my morning quiet time allowing the busyness of life to crowd what I know to be of most importance. "A treasure chest of riches"

    ReplyDelete