Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Judg 11:9 and Luke 14:28 "Counting the Cost" (April 17)

Am I counting the cost of what I participate in? Am I counting the cost of what I believe God wants me to do? Am I counting the cost of moving in love in my current relationships? Luke 14:28 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Jephthah was a mighty warrior with a dark shadow over his life. Son of a prostitute. Yet, he counted the cost and did what he knew to do best---he became a mighty warrior. So, when the chips were down, who did they go to---Jephthah who said: "if the LORD gives them over to me," then we will win. Judges 11:9. Counting the Cost for the Glory of God

2 comments:

  1. Jephthah's tragic vow to offer a sacrifice for victory. A vow to the Lord is irrevocable. In his desire for a win, careless words were spoken and Jephthah lost his beloved daughter. It's a strange story with a stark moral. Be careful what you promise to the Lord.

    Years ago, I would always throw desperate prayers at the Lord (particularly before Chemistry exams I recall) It went something like this: If You'll just get me by on this test, I promise I will _____. I don't recall ever looking back and saying thank you and completing my part of the deal.

    The Holy Spirit is nudging me this morning about broken promises and careless "bargaining" with the Lord.

    Words matter. Promises are serious vows. Desperate prayers are not bargaining tools with God. We simply need to come, admit our helplessness, and surrender the situation to His Glorious Hands. He will answer in a well-thought way that is best for us eternally, not in whims that waiver with the wind.

    Count the cost. Consider the ramifications. Walk wisely and promise purposefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sobering story, isn't it Annette. And so unreal. Cost him the life of his own daughter. And to watch her suffer at his hand. How am I keeping my own word?

    Love you so much. Think of you all the time.

    ReplyDelete