Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

92 - "Put Away the Things More Important Than God" 1Samuel 5-8

Lay your head on your pillow and
you start thinking about what you've done today.
How we've treated those we love.
How we've disdained this day, or maybe loved a little more than yesterday.
How we've distanced ourselves from one, or maybe stepped in fresh faith.
How we've forgotten the LORD of our lives, or fell forward in a deep dependence.
How His Good Grace covers all our moments.

I Samuel 5:11 - The hand of the Lord was very heavy on the Philistines.
And how does Samuel respond to a stolen Ark:
Samuel says:  If you are returning to the LORD with all your heart, then put away those things that are more important than God.  Direct your heart to the LORD and serve Him only. 

Eli led with integrity for 40 years. 
His men delivered devastating news:
 “Israel fled before the Philistines, and the army has suffered heavy losses. Also your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, are dead, and the ark of God has been captured.” 4:17

Eli cared more about God than himself. By the way that I act today, will I share that I care more about God?  Today, God sent someone to me who spoke like a messenger from God.  An affirmation beyond words.  All these things that we think are so important in our day---how important are they in light of eternity?  Trying to wrap thoughts around the Philistines take on such holy things.  We cannot treat lightly the things of God and be able to rest. 

When things invade your territory.  When people infringe upon your rights.  When situations intersect life's plans.  This is our mantra.  Praying for each of you this day that it will always be about "thus far."  “Thus far the Lord has helped us.” I Samuel 7:12. 

PHOTO:  The World's oldest museum. Rome.  Standing in this place.  Observing life's lessons.  Two words mean the world to me.  Thus far.  And I keep uttering them over and over today.  Because I'm not sure how to make it through tomorrow, much less the rest of today. And I feel like that just about every day of my life. I just struggle more than most. Does anyone really care? God does. But, thus far.


No comments:

Post a Comment