Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

86 - "I Wanted Holidays from the School of Christ" Judges 10-13


Judges 10:1 - Abimilech debauched Isreal with evil, disquieted Israel with ambition, disturbed Israel's very peace.  Then, God raises up a good man to reform the abuses, stop the idolatry, and heal the wounds.  This new judge saved them from themselves.  And it should be our very hope, too.  May God save us from ourselves---from wanting ambition in this celebrity world; from wanting ministry success in this storied mission; from wanting to live in this present life more than dealing with daily repentance; from wanting more than God and what He has planned and offered to each of us.  Save us from oursleves.  

Fast Forward 2,000+ years.  It happens to every one of us as we wrestle through this God thing.  
From a Favorite Book:  "Though I wouldn't have admitted it, even to myself, I didn't want God aboard.  He was too heavy.  I wanted Him approving from a considerable distance.  I didn't want to be thinking of Him.  I wanted to be free---like a Gypsy.  I wanted life itself, the color and fire and loveliness of life.  And Christ now and then, like a loved poem I could read when I wanted to.  I didn't want us to be swallowed up in God.  I wanted holidays from the school of Christ."  Sheldon Vanauken "A Severe Mercy"  

Not only do we want our distance from God but we want tangibles---those things that draw us, make us feel closer to God.  Nothing wrong with the vehicle.  Everything wrong with the motive.  
Sheldon wrote: "I had always served beauty.  My wife and I together had loved beauty.  Now, maybe, I was worshipping beauty in the Christian God while my wife was worshipping God.  There may be danger in the love of beauty, though it seems treason to say it.  Perhaps it can be a snare."  
And just maybe today we are worshipping music, health, success, ministry, justice, mission, even our children turning out right.  Are we worshipping God or what is way too important in our hands?

PHOTO:  A look through a camera lens at Mount Rainier.  Do we see clearly or do we give in to magnify those things that make us feel safe, feel comfortable, feel successful in knowing God.  Remove the props, O Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment