Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

February 21 ... Numbers 23 -25 "Far Too Easily Pleased"

Numbers 23:15 Balaam said to Balak, "Didn't I tell you up front when you sent your emissaries, 'Even if Balak gave me his palace stuffed with silver and gold, I couldn't do anything on my own, whether good or bad, that went against God's command'?  I love the story of Balaam.  The last chapter spoke of how his donkey saw the angel in the road but Balaam didn't see it.  Numbers 22:34 - Balaam said to God:  I didn't realize that it was You, God, standing in my path.  God opened his eyes to see that the path he was on was a reckless one.  And that's where Balaam takes a deep look inside and says:  I have sinned and recognize that it's You, my God that I am against.  Just a few short years ago, God used these verses in a powerful way in my life to show me that I was complacent and thought things were going well.  There's a phrase C.S. Lewis used that comes to mind:  "We are far too easily pleased."  May we not accept anything in our lives that is against God's command.  Haughty looks.  Mean-spirited thoughts. Little tolerance for others' sins. That's all behavior and there's more under that.  May God expose our sin so that we may see Him standing in the middle of our paths.

8 comments:

  1. As usual, His Word is a timely awakening for me. I echo your prayer, Bev. "May we not accept anything in our lives that is against God's command."

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Numbers 23:

    "God is with them,
    and they're with him, shouting praises to their King.
    God brought them out of Egypt, rampaging like a wild ox."

    I love the visual here of God bringing His people out of Egypt, rampaging like a wild ox. It reminds me of John Eldredge's book, Wild At Heart.

    Our God is a Wild GOD. Let that surround you as you are faced with enemies...GOD promises you that YOU are His beloved.

    I don't completely understand this Balaam guy. He is offering up sacrifices to try and sway God into Balak's court. And God speaks to him. Instead of snuffing him out instantly. There doesn't seem to be anything holy about these sacrifices, but God still speaks.

    But not what they want to hear.

    They want a curse on these Israelites. But God doesn't allow it to happen. In fact, God reveals to Balaam the demise of these rulers. And that Israel is crouched like a lion ready for his prey.

    When I think about all of this, I'm amazed that God still cares for these people. And then I think about how little we deserve His blessings today. How little I deserve His blessings today. Even on my best day, my righteousness is as filthy rags.

    But my God loves me.

    Nothing I do can ever change that. And the reason why He loves me? I have the same faith Abraham had. I believed God. Abraham believed God. One of us was on one side of the cross, and the other of us is on this side of the cross. Same faith. And it was counted unto us both as righteousness.

    Our GOD is not a safe God. But He is a Good God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bev,
    Have tried to get the Lenten devotionals you mentioned sent to me. Do you know of another way to access these except the address you mentioned? I would love to get them but have been unsuccessful.
    Thanks,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    Here's the link address and remember, none are sent out on Sunday...just six days a week, Monday through Saturday.

    http://www.66loveletters.cgrantandcompany.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, it takes about 24 hours to get your e-mail set up, it's not instant. And I think because today was Sunday, you didn't receive one. If you don't get it tomorrow, I can always send them to you everyday when I get them. Just let me know but I think you'll start getting them tomorrow. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah, point well taken about Balaam. God was looking for faith and it certainly was not demonstrated in Balaam's life until that encounter with the donkey refusing to move. I love the wording that describes Balaam being on a reckless path and God stood in the way. I so don't want to miss God thinking I am on the right path. Your comments are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deborah thank you for summing it up...God may not always be safe, but God is ALWAYS good.

    Again it comes back to Obedience to Elohim or my selfish desires.
    God is not always a safe God but He is ALWAYS a Good God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Balaam didn't turn out like I thought he would...I mean after all he met God standing smack dab in the middle of this path. Missed HIM again.

    ReplyDelete