Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2024

48 - "Distance from God is Our Problem" Leviticus 8-9

Life moves so fast.
Traveling 70mph on a country road.
Thinking about distance.

The Lord commanded Moses on Mount Sinai to tell the Israelites that they needed to bring their "oblations" to God in the wilderness.  Don't wait until you get to the Promised Land.  The wilderness.  So what am I waiting for---things to get better?  This offering is no small thing here. If we love Him, the offerings of our life will pour out. Leviticus 9:36. "Solemn acts of religious worship are not things which we may do or not do at our pleasure; it is at our peril if we omit them." Matthew Henry.

Gratitude and gifts to God are not boxes to be checked off.  There's something wrong inside of us if it doesn't flow. What is at the root of why we don't offer ourselves, our day, our family, our ministries to God.  We are blind to see what the most lethal problem really is.  Why are we so lethargic in our disciplines?  Lawrence Crabb says:  "Distance from God" is responsible for every problem we have.  He talks about how we assume that we are doing just fine while we run off trying to make our lives work. 

I know what it feels like to be stiffarmed.  What about the distance I've created because I don't think God is fair, or kind, or generous?  What will I do about distance from God if I recognize it?

Perfect in Beauty are you God Who pours out of pearls. Psalm 50:2. Thank you for what you are doing in our lives to break up this running of our lives on separate tracks.  Thank you that you will never stop pursuing us, even when we are distant. 

PHOTO:  Buena Vista, Colorado. Snapped out of my car window as I reflect on how fast life passed me by.  Four adult children sitting next to me.  Wives.  Husbands.  Doesn't look like I thought it would.  Help me to make it what You want it to be.  

Matthew Henry

Lawrence Crabb

No comments:

Post a Comment