Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

January 4 "Our Shield & Reward" Genesis 12-15



“Do not be afraid, Abram.
    I am your shield,
    your very great reward." Genesis 15:1


Perfect words breathed on Abram.
Perfect words breathed on me.
Weighty verses for so short a theology.
6 sentences.
Someone called it the "lynchpin" for understanding the relationship between faith and works.  

Abram was fresh off the battle over the rescue of Lot.  God tells him to fear not for God is a Shield. How comforting is that to a man who just fought for his life.  God says that He is our reward.  And the word, reward, means "pay" or "wages."  God Himself is our reward.  Is that enough?

Photo: Monet's garden. Fear not. 

1 comment:

  1. "Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness."

    My prayer today:
    LORD, help me to believe all that you have revealed to me that it might be credited to me as righteousness.

    ReplyDelete