Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2015

July 9 "Be Quiet, My Thoughts. Psalm 120-132

Where does my help come from? Psalm121:2. He never sleeps. Always watching over us.

As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master,
    as the eyes of a female slave look to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the Lord our God,
    till he shows us his mercy. Psalm 123:2. 

Therefore. 
I have calmed and quieted my soul. Today. 
Like a weaned child from his mother.  Psalm 131:2
The Callicot commentary speaks to this metaphor.  "It is taken from a baby's first real sorrow when he not merely feels pain, but is allowed no access to that which was his solace hitherto.  He moans, and frets, and sobs, but at last is quieted by the love which is powerful to soothe, even when it must deny."

"If goodness lead him not, then weariness may toss him to God's breast."  George Herbert]

DEAR GOD, PLEASE CHANGE ME IN MY 10,000 MOMENTS that I may quiet my soul before You like a weaned child.  In total dependence.  In any trial.

PHOTO:  

2 comments:

  1. My Help Comes from the Lord

    A Song of Ascents.


    121" I lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?

    2
    My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.


    3
    He will not let your foot be moved;
    he who keeps you will not slumber.

    4
    Behold, he who keeps Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep
    My Help Comes from the Lord.'


    The 121st Psalm is one of my favorites. I'm awake early and still tired, the house is quiet and I'm almost afraid to make a noise and start the day. Right now, I'm here, reading and thinking of the awesome God who never sleeps.... HE IS. I've been thinking and pondering of that truth , because always and forever is God. He has no beginning and no end.
    God IS.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Jan, just to think that he did not sleep last night. Just watched over us. Always caring. Always good. Sending love. Bev

    ReplyDelete