Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

April 19 "Light Up My Darkness" I Samuel 28-31, Psalm 18


The mantra. 
The theme.
Look at this. 
"Saul has struck down his thousands.And David his ten thousands." I Samuel 29:5

You know, that looks good on paper that David's success looms large.
David's success also costs him greatly: His two wives have now been taken captive.
"And David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him---those who hailed him as a hero. No more. You're too much of a risk to us, David.

And they were "bitter in soul" for their own sons and daughters. And how I love David's response. May it become our holy mantra: "David strengthened himself in the Lord, his God." I Samuel 30:6. That's it!!! How do I talk to myself? What will I say to myself this day? Either I will move toward dependence or distance. 

Will I speak these words of Psalm 18, the ones that David grabbed hold of in deep distress, losing wives, friends, comrades, and his community. "I love you Lord, my Help, my Deliverer.
For it is You Who lights my lamp, the Lord my God lightens my darkness." Psa 18:28

COME BOLDLY: Timeless Prayers Father, this day, may we let this Word rule our hearts. Spirit of God blow your whistle, Col 3:15, over our ways as we encourage ourselves in You Alone. Give Light to our darkness. Let our steps find broad paths. Illuminate our lives this day. We trust.
PHOTO: The view from my bedroom window in the hill country.  It's dark out there.  And there are dark places in my own soul this night as I fold my apron.  And I think of the One Who folded his cloths in a tomb, saying "It Is Finished."  What He has done for me, that Resurrection, covers all my darkness.  I will see Light---a little more Light this day than the last one.  It's dark outside but a tad Lighter in my soul.  I know.  Looking forward to Resurrection Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to Resurrection Sunday, too! I'm listening to music and cooking for a crowd, though two of our three kids won't be at the Easter Dinner table. Church wont me my favorite place, but I can go all year to the place I prefer to worship, and every Sunday is Resurrection Sunday for this believer.

    Reflecting on forgiveness and the Work of the Cross by my Savior. I know that I know that I am loved. And forgiven. And redeemed. Blessed Day of His Finest Hour--raised up to His proper place at His Father's glorious Right Hand.

    May you each marvel at His Love for you and feel it to the depth of your soul. Blessed Easter, Pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking much on Silent Saturday. We don't know exactly where our Lord was, for the Word doesn't tell us. I do know that He was NOT there when the stone was rolled away. It was not rolled away so He could get out, but so that we could see that He had arisen and was NOT there.

    So blessed are you Annette to have a crowd to cook for. I remember those days, They are no more. Tara had taken over cooking the Holiday meals for the family, but we were still together as a family. What precious memories I have. Thinking much on how much the Lord is working behind the scenes of my life and in my heart. I think the older I become the more the Cross means to me and Resurrection Sunday is such a blessed thing in the life of a believer. The blessed hope of seeing those who have gone ahead of us, that followed Him and believed in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessed indeed. Wish you and David could join us at our table. One glorious Day, we will all be seated at the same Table. Blessings and hugs to you, Mary Lou!

      Delete