Search This Blog

Friday, January 17, 2014

January 17 "A God of Seeing" Genesis 16-18

It's a doomed star.  
No hope beside that place where you sit.
Here are those simple telling questions again: Where have you come from and where are you going? Genesis 16:8.  A servant slave who accepted an advance from her owner.  Abram and Sarah didn't call on God for help.  They set out to control their worlds.  They concocted a plan to have a son.  And Hagar, Sarah's servant obliges.  And Sarah's jealousy rages when she learns that Hagar has conceived.  What???  Her full-throttle anger sends Hagar to the desert.  And it is t.h.e.r.e. that Hagar calls the name of the Lord who spoke to her, "You are a God of seeing, for she said, 'Truly here I have seen Him who looks after me." Genesis 16:13.  Hagar was the first of the trio involved in sin to call on the name of the Lord---the lowest one, the weakest one.  She knew that God saw all:  her betrayal to her mistress Sarah, her flight into a wilderness, her thirst at a fountain, her hunger to be fully known, her desire to be fully loved, her hopes for a child.  A God of seeing.  And He wanted her just as she was with all the workings of her heart.  Beautiful repentance.

COME BOLDLY: Timeless Prayers
Oh! to know the God of seeing a little more clearly this day!  The God Who sees everything with Eyes of Providence for He sees everything that is happening in all of our world.  May we trust You, God with what we cannot see.

PHOTO:  Credit belongs to NASA on Flickr.  "Doomed Star"

9 comments:

  1. Oh, how He sees me. He is truly the God of the details. Still blows my mind every time I think on things that He has done and it comes to me that He has gone before me and taken care of details that would have concerned me, yet in His providence He had already provided. Oh, for eyes of faith that will continue to trust Him with things I cannot see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?” Gen 18:12
    In the back of my mind I go to a place where I wonder if I'm too old to be used by Him. And I love when sometimes I just want to laugh and say to Him, "Really?"
    Have a great weekend, Girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that...Sarah: "Um, I didn't laugh, really I didn't..." Angel: "You did, too!" Did not. Did too...

      Delete
  3. "The God Who Sees" looked kindly upon Hagar caught up in a plot against God's Divine Plan. He is the God who provides in her wilderness walking, the God Who sees her plight and shows mercy to her son. For all the first born rights of sons, Ishmael could have been the promise. But it was not man's plan that would prevail. Christians are all children of the Divine Promise through Isaac. And to this day, the sons of Ishmael are in conflict with the sons of Isaac.
    Who would have imagined that one sin could have such far-reaching consequences. And so it is with our own sin. We do not know what blessing we forfeit when we step out on our own plan. But we have a God Who Sees who in His great mercy provides in our wilderness, and gave His Own Son for such as these. Thanks be to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy! -Jude 1:24

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through Sarah (and John) we see God can use as no matter how old we are. I don't think we retire from Kingdom work, we simply leave here for our real home. He see us, He knows where we are on our walk with Him, I pray I remain on His path and do not stray onto my on path doing my thing.

    I will be off the grid for the next several days. Blessings everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saying a prayer for a lovely weekend, Annette, for you to be refreshed and not have to tend to anyone's needs but your own for this short break. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Well, I had planned for the past months to attend the SSMT tomorrow. I forgot to register so then I wasn't coming. Then I got in on a cancellation and back on. Then I came down with the flu----today is the first day that I have been able to eat solid food. So that ended that trip. But then something else came up with work. All said---I am not there! Wish I was! Hope it's a good one for all----it would have been good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you weren't able to attend. I know how you would have loved to be a part of it again! Hope you're feeling a lot better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ang. I was really disappointed but was so sick.

    ReplyDelete