Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

August 27 ... Jeremiah 51 - 52 "Nothing Comes of Ambition"

Jeremiah 51

 In Jeremiah 51: 1, God says more: "Watch this:    I'm whipping up A death-dealing hurricane against Babylon—'Hurricane Persia'— against all who live in that perverse land.  But if we surrender and ask God to walk with us…then… 51:10 - God has set everything right for us.  We have a story that God has always been about setting everything right for us, even in the midst of conflict. 
Babylon was “stale smoke.”  “When the smoke clears, they are g-o-n-e.  But the Portion-of-Jacob is the real thing.  Our God puts the whole universe together.  Blow the shofar (51:27) and deal with our unholiness at whatever cost to me is required.  Our God is stepping in and saying:  'I'm on your side, taking up your cause. I'm your Avenger.  Let go of ambition.  51:58 – “The harder you work at this empty life, the less you are. Nothing comes of ambition like Babylon but ashes.”

Jeremiah 52

The summary murder of his sons was the last thing Zedekiah saw, for they then blinded him. They took this prophet's eyes out.  Jeremiah, the prophet, was Zedekiah's counselor but I don't think Zedekiah ended his life turning to God.  The king of Babylon killed all the officials of Judah. Securely handcuffed, Zedekiah was hauled off to Babylon. The king of Babylon threw him in prison, where he stayed until the day he died.  How could Zedekiah witness his sons murdered, have his eyes gouged out, and spend the rest of his days in prisoon without recalling to mind the words of Jeremiah?  What words do we recall in our mind in the midst of our dilemmas of life?

3 comments:

  1. Ambition...how it drives so many people today...

    Sylvia, I will text Cici your # in DC.

    Off to work today, I have a class in one hour so I have to make this quick.

    Sorry for the delay in posting, my internet has been down for the past 24 hours.

    Cici's update from her texts looks good. Praise God that deadlines are being met and favor is on its way! She will need to remain in DC throughout the weekend to complete documents. Don't stop praying yet! Smile! God is there with her cause HE walks with Cici. Jer. 31:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylvia, I left your phone # at my home. I am teaching today and leave straight for Fort Worth after I finish so I won't be able to get back home to get it. Can you call me again please. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia is at the Restoring Honor rally at Lincoln Center. It's Live at 9 a.m. CST. They're making history right praying our country back. C-SPAN will be covering Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally at the Lincoln Memorial this Saturday, with Sarah Palin among those expected to attend. Coverage begins 10amET.

    ReplyDelete