A String of Pearls

Sunday, September 13, 2026

256 - Isaiah 7-8; Acts 20:17-38

                               

Isaiah 7:2  "When the Davidic government learned that Aram had joined forces with Ephraim (that is, Israel), Ahaz and his people were badly shaken. They shook like trees in the wind."  What they feared wasn't even legitimate.  Why am I shaking like a tree in the wind?  What do I fear?  What is my terror?

Isaiah 7:10 - 12  "Ask for a sign from your God. Ask anything. Be extravagant. Ask for the moon!"  But Ahaz said, "I'd never do that. I'd never make demands like that on God!"  Ahaz almost missed hearing the prophecy of Jesus.  I love Isaiah 7: 14 - the Master is going to give you a sign anyway.  God, would you give us this day what we are missing?  God-With-Us.

Isaiah 8:10   "All your talk is mere talk, empty words, because when all is said and done, the last word is Immanuel—God-With-Us."  Am I really convinced that God is with me in this?

Isaiah 8:16  While I wait for God as long as he remains in hiding, while I wait and hope for Him, I stand my ground and hope.  In the midst of confusion, will you wait in hope with me?  Will you redefine your problems as God-With-Us on a Journey---not solutions for our suffering.  God-With-Us in His Providence has allowed what you face today.  Providential Suffering.  Face the silence and wait in darkness.

For a child is born. 

The people walking in darkness have seen a Great Light.

 On those living in the land of deep darkness, a Light has dawned. 

And That Love is the wonder of us all.

He is a Wonderful Counselor. 

He knew God's counsel from the Beginning. 

And He consults on our behalf the Wisdom of God. 

Nothing like this on earth. 

We live between the Already and the Not Yet.

It's the Not Yet that keeps me trusting cause I'm not There yet. 

And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace

    there will be no end."  will honor the nations. 

For a child is born. 

The people walking in darkness have seen a Great Light.

 On those living in the land of deep darkness, a Light has dawned. 

And That Love is the wonder of us all.

He is a Wonderful Counselor. 

He knew God's counsel from the Beginning. 

And He consults on our behalf the Wisdom of God. 

Nothing like this on earth. 

We live between the Already and the Not Yet.

It's the Not Yet that keeps me trusting cause I'm not There yet. 

And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace

  And there will be no end."  In all of this opposition in these chapters, they pray not for protection from suffering but for boldness in testifying. They were committed to their new-found purpose and dependent on God's power. Opposition like this would sideline most. Not Paul. May we live with eyes fixed on our purpose for being here. "I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me---the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace." Acts 20:24 

All those hardships, sleepless nights, shipwrecks, merciless beatings. "None of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the Gospel of the Grace of God." Acts 20:24

The Kingdom stirs in this heart. And it's a beautiful calling. This Gospel of Grace. And it is this Grace that builds us up. Acts 20:32. We all need to be built up this day, this moment.

PHOTO: And a new baby sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment