Search This Blog

Sunday, August 4, 2024

216 - "Urged to Return Home and Move Forward" 2 Chronicles 34-36




Sitting on a dock in a bay ... reflecting on moral evils vs. natural evils. II Chronicles 36:22 The Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus, King of Persia, and put His Words in his mouth.  May the Lord be with each of us and let him go up.

The chronicles of these kings are heart wrenching.  So many lived for themThe words of 66LL resonate deeply in II Chronicles.  God wants me to think more about how I relate to Him and others than how to get my life together.  He wants me to look deep inside, into my motives, to see if I am really looking out for myself when I think I'm living for God. 

"There is an evil greater than bombs, tsunamis, and cancer.  Those are natural evils.  But when people live to get their own way, when they determine what is good for them and live to get it, all hell breaks loose within and between them...frenzied grabs for happiness with no concern for how others are impacted, more interest in making one's point than listening to another's, the vicious habit of depersonalizing everyone into a rival, ugly parodies of community-like courtesy without connection, laughter without love---these are moral evils" (Gal 5:19-21 The Message).  

Psalm 81:10
O, God, open our mouths and fill them with Yourself.  
All those plans that we inwardly demand happen, 
help us to see where we live for ourselves.
O, God, may we listen today well.
And recognize Your stirrings.
Not our will but Yours.
Nor our own plans
Have Mercy!
Col 1:29

2 Chronicles 36:13 Zedekiah, one more evil king, never gave God a thought; repentance never entered his mind. What do I do on days like today when repentance doesn't enter my mind?  When was the last time I repented?  

I LOVE how today's reading ends in 2 Chronicles 36:23 - "All who belong to God's people are urged to return—and may your God be with you! Move forward!"  

PHOTO:  The Dock where I go to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment