Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2014

November 13 "Holy Affections" I Corinthians 8

"There is no proof of ignorance more common than conceit of knowledge. Much may be known, when nothing is known to good purpose.  Knowledge which puffs up the possessor, and renders him confident, is as dangerous as self-righteous pride, though what he knows may be right. Without holy affections all human knowledge is worthless."  Matthew Henry

If knowledge is your pride point, then what good is it?  If I could say what truths have touched me deeply these recent days gone by, I would say: to what good purpose is my motive?  Even in the spanking new and sacrificial good things that I do every day. If my purpose is for my own gain, it profits me nothing. How much do we do out of wrong motives. Will I repent from what looks to be good things done for the glory of this day.

"Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.  But if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he doesn't yet know as he ought to know."  I Cor 8:1-2.

COME BOLDLY: Timeless Prayers
Father, thank you for opening our ears and eyes and hands to what is good and pure and right. May we deeply and widely see that we can be doing really good things for the wrong reasons. 

PHOTO: So touched on this snowy path as I thought about doing good things for the wrong reasons. And I layed down my Isaac right here. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment