Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2014

April 11 "Detached & Delivered" I Samuel 13-15

Saul doesn't become a bad king---he already is one.  God gives us all every opportunity to grow in grace and never be the same as we are today. This newly appointed king wouldn't take God's opportunity.  He built his kingdom from strong men, "any valiant man." I Sam 15:52.  He attached the mighty men to himself.  God never meant for us to be attached to anyone but Himself.

Saul won't repent from what is in his heart.  He takes matters into his own hands.  Saul looks with the eyes in his head not in his heart.  Oh! Saul waited 7 days for Samuel but gazed at all the scattering people.  I Sam 13:8-9. Saul panicked in sight not faith.  "Bring that to me"---and I will be very big about this and offer the burnt offering.  Not with God's plan or hand.  If we have any of this same kind of attitude that we have to take everyday matters into our own hands, may God reveal it to us.  Especially, where we are not willing to repent and still harbor our pettiness, our pride, our pristine life on paper.  We look good but for whom do we carry this life?  God's Glory or Saul's or our own?

Saul thought he was building a castled kingdom.
Turns out he was building his own personal prison.
"We learn through pain that some things we thought were castles turn out to be prisons, and we desperately want out, but even though we built them, we can't find the door.  Yet, maybe if you ask God for help in knowing which direction to face, you'll have a moment of intuition.  Maybe you'll see at least one next right step you can take."  Ann Lamott.  Saul attaches to mighty men not to his Master.

COME BOLDLY:  Timeless Prayers
Father, You never meant for me to be attached to anyone but You.  Somewhere.  Somehow.  I attached to the strong, the wise, the successful.  And I can never Thank You enough for detaching me and setting me apart.  Detach us this day from whatever it is that we want more than the Love of God.  

PHOTO:  Waco, Texas.  A Stained Glass Window in the Armstrong Browning Library.  A poem of two lovers who have made their dwelling place in each other's hearts.
Beautiful Love but There is a Greater Love:
"I send my heart up to thee, all my heart
In this my singing."
God never intended for people to have a greater place in our hearts than He.
I send my heart to God.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! It didn't post last night. So sorry for the two of you who read :0

    Actually, there are invisible people out there reading this. We have had 85,000 hits so somebody's passing by. Blogger seems to not work as well this year as it has the past 7 years. Wonder if they have made some changes keeping up with the others that have affected usage. Thanks for understanding. Typing from lovely San Antonio!!!

    ReplyDelete